Life Update: What Florence Life Is Like
Well, I am officially 13 days into my study abroad program! Which means I am halfway done! Isn’t that crazy?!! This past weekend I went to Venice which I did a post yesterday about here, but as my weekend was coming to an end I found myself eager to get back to Florence to “my” bed and the comfort of knowing where I was going.
I am a creature of habit, which I have realized as I have gotten older. I enjoy spontaneity but within reason. I like to understand the area that I am in and have somewhat of a plan going into the trip. Living in abroad for almost two weeks has forced me to, “go with the flow,” more and just be more okay with not knowing the whole plan for the day.
So I’m “studying” abroad right? So what have I learned?!
- Mosquitos are even really cool places like Italy too.
- Not everyone in Europe wears deodorant.
- Texting your mom at 9 AM your time is 2 AM her time and she will wake up and will not be super pumped about it.
- Florence is home to some of the best gelato I’ve ever tasted and yes there is such a thing as bad gelato
- I am poor in Euros. It stinks sometimes.
- The wine is way better and stronger than the Barefoot bottles they sell at home.
- You can actually get a fine from the Police for being too loud in your house after 11 PM. This isn’t a joke I am so so loud and I’m always nervous I will get a complaint.
- Dryers for your clothes don’t exist which makes washing clothes a little more difficult.
- Wifi here can either be really great or really bad there is no in between.
- Bacon and eggs for breakfast are not common. It is normally a quick espresso and a pastry for breakfast.
- Gnocchi is the best thing to come into my life in the last two weeks.
- You can find the coolest people on a program when you aren’t all from the same school, and you can learn from them too.
- Everyone gets homesick, even just for a moment.
- Walking here is more common that driving. I walked about 50 miles just last week.
- The times you have salad on the menu are rare and you should get it when you can!
I have learned so much more but these are just a couple of things so far and I can’t wait to keep adding to the list!